Thursday, February 19, 2009

#2: Royce Clayton - Star Rookie


"I'm gonna do it, Dad...I'm gonna do it all...for you."
Royce blinked repeatedly to clear his eyes of any tears, unsure if anyone had followed him to the cemetery. He drew the string on his hooded sweatshirt even tighter in order to battle the stiff fall breeze. Invigorated, Royce nimbly turned the dials on his combination bike lock, the type with the metal chain inside of a scratch-resistant rubber casing, finding the one number he couldn't possibly forget. "Seven-one-four...got it."

The asphalt drive leading out of the cemetery passed by in a whirr as Royce Clayton, teenage superstar, pedaled furiously to outrun the ghost of his best friend...his coach...his father. An empty maintenance truck bore the only witness to the young man's solemn vow, an oath that he shouted from the very depths of his lungs.
"I'm gonna play for every fucking team in Major League Baseball! Every last motherfucking team! And I'll win the World Series in the twilight of my career as a result of the late-season 40-man roster! As God as my witness, I'll do it all for you, dad, every last team all for youuuuuuuuu!!!"

Only the trees heard his cries.

1 comment:

  1. I see this was posted well over a year ago, but I just happened to stumble across this blog today, and I damn near fell out of my chair laughing from this one - thanks, I needed that! :)

    Fun fact - way back when this set came out my friend and I discovered that you could "make your own misprint error card!" - the ink used to print the stats on the back came right off if you rubbed it with a normal pencil eraser (I have no recollection whatsoever of how we found that out in the first place...)

    From a fellow Brewer Fan!

    ReplyDelete